A very satisfying and warming autumnal meal. This takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook. It keeps well, so if time is short make in advance and refrigerate or freeze. Make sure you chop your vegetables to approximately the same size, so they will cook at the same rate.
Serves 4-6, Vegetarian,(Gluten Free)
- 1 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 500g raw beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- A handful of picked thyme
- 1.5 litre/6 cups of water/vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 4-6 tsp of crème fraiche (to serve)
- Wholegrain bread to serve – this works well with the rye and oat soda bread
- Heat a large deep pan over a medium / low heat with olive oil. Add onion and salt and and sweat, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are translucent and soft, after about 5-10 minutes, add caraway seeds and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes. Add beetroot, potato and thyme and stir.
- Add water or stock and additional seasoning if needed. Increase heat to medium/ high and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer till tender, which takes around 20 minutes.
- When all the vegetables are tender, allow to cool slightly and blitz batches in the blender. Check seasoning and consistency and adjust. Add more water or stock if the soup is very thick.
- Place the soup in bowls, serve drizzled with crème fraiche, a sprinkling of thyme, with fresh rye soda bread.
Source of fibre
Source of Folic acid