Serves 4 (vegetarian)
- ½ tbsp + 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 Parsnips peeled and chopped in to chunks
- 3 Carrots, peeled and Chopped in to chunks
- 1 head of garlic, broken in to cloves, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 1 large onion, peeled and Slliced
- 240g of cooked cannellini beans (tinned can be used, drain and rinse well)
- 100g pearled spelt
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon of sherry (optional)
- 150g of cooked and peeled chestnuts (vacuum packed varieties work well to save time)
- 100g Cavolo nero, stem removed and torn in to chunks
- Chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Place the carrots and parsnips on a roasting tray. Drizzle with half a tbsp of oil, salt and pepper. Add the herbs and garlic. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and sweat over a medium low heat for 5-10 minutes and the chopped thyme and rosemary and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add chestnuts and pearled spelt cannelini beans and cook for a further few minutes, stirring well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the stock and sherry if using , bring to a boil and simmer for 15- 20 minutes, until the pearled spelt is cooked.
- Remove the cooked roasted vegetables from the oven. Discard the herbs and squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins. Add the roasted carrots, parsnips and garlic to the pan. Season and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir through the Cavolo nero and cook for a further few minutes. Taste and season as needed
- Serve immediately drizzled with fruity cold pressed olive oil.
Low saturated fat
High in fibre
Source of protein
Source of vitamin A
With thanks to Clare Gray for collaborating on this recipe.