- 300g coarsely ground wholemeal flour
- 100g rye flour
- 75g rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 400ml of buttermilk, or natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Combine the flours. Oats, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl, mix well.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add the buttermilk and milk gently, do not knead the dough. stir together with your hands until you have a soft, sticky dough.
- Flour a baking tray baking sheet , then form the dough into a round on and cut a deep cross in the dough. Bake for 45- 50 minutes to an hour. Remove from the oven and turn the bread over, cook for a further 5-10 minutes. When it is ready the crust should be golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with butter or drizzled with olive oil.
Low Saturated fat
Source of Fibre
Source of thiamin
Source of vitamin B6
Source of phosphorous
High in Manganese